Thursday, February 2, 2012

Twenty-two Breaths

Last night, I stepped from the playroom into the garage so that I could check on the laundry.

I had just cleaned the kitchen, picked up the living room and playroom, checked on Bodhi, and was ready to sit down.

How long is this going to take?  What can I go do real quick?

Then I paused.

I don't have a few breaths to stand here until it is done?

So I stood and decided to count my breath.

I thought about how Z will stand in awe of the most simple things.

I thought about how lucky I was to be standing in our own home, in our own garage, with a working washing machine and dryer that I have all to myself.

I thought about how lucky I was to have a family to wash laundry for.

I thought about how the washer sounded, smelled, felt, and looked.

I folded the blankets that were in the dryer.

Twenty-two breaths and countless thoughts later it slowly stopped spinning.

Twenty-two breaths.

I couldn't wait twenty-two breaths?

My mind sure can be busy about so many things that aren't even happening.

Sometimes I just have to pause and look at what is in front of me.

Sometimes it's easy to take what is in front of us for granted.

I'm glad when I pause to notice the simple pleasures in life, just like my children do.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. It's good to have moments like this, where you pause and cultivate gratitude. I'm working on that, too :)
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete