Monday, August 15, 2011

Taking Notice: In the Moment




We're all happiest when we're in the moment instead of trying to make the moment.

The other afternoon, Bodhi fell asleep and I could see that Z was getting tired. But he wouldn't go down for a nap. I tried and tried. Cuddle, read a book, cartoon for chill time, low lights? Nope. Nothing was working. I wanted him to nap. I wanted a little time. I wasn't recognizing that that was a precious moment for us to hang out while Bodhi was asleep, even if Bodhi sleeps a lot. He started to get frustrated and cranky with me. I wasn't taking notice that he just wanted to be with his Mama. I released my grip and we went downstairs to play. Immediately, we were both happy. It turned out to be a nice fun chunk of playtime for me and Z.

Sometimes, I don't take notice. I fight and fight. Then we're both frustrated. It's not about winning. It's about noticing and being and learning to let go. If I simply notice my frustration, feel it's hot grip on me, realize what the situation needs and let go everyone's a little happier. And that's what life's about.

No comments:

Post a Comment