Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I Am a Mama

I am a mama.

When did it become not enough to be just a mama?

Why does any mama have to be ecological breastfeeding, crunchy, attachment parent mama like it's some contest?

I refuse to enter that contest.  Have at it.

I never even heard these terms until the last year or so but found that they are in line with how I am as a mother, for the most part.  I had to Google them when I first heard them.  These things come naturally, I figured.

Can you imagine what our Mamas, Grandmothers, Great-Grandmothers, Great-Great-Great-Grandmothers (and on and on) and Mama sisters around the world would think?

I kind of think it's funny.

I kind of think it's sad.

Is it not enough that I adore and love my children more than anything in the world and take care of them to the best of my ability with their mental, physical and emotional well-being and health in mind?

I adore being a mother and find that every mother can identify with one another at the deepest level, just like we all can if we try.

It's like every mother is a sister.

We all need to lighten our loads.

We are above all Mamas.

That is enough.

Deep breath and carry on...


4 comments:

  1. I dunno, personally I think it does matter how we parent and though labels don't suit everyone to a tee, they are helpful shorthand for where your values lie when discussing it with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly agree that how we parent matters. I agree the terms are useful for informing, but not dividing us. Sometimes people wear these labels like medals of honor, like they are better parents for it. I don't personally believe in any particular method as the only way to parent, however I am inspired by things I read. The funny thing is, I didn't know these terms but was following them intuitively (like ecological breastfeeding, attachment parenting, etc.).

      Delete
  2. I love these thoughts and really agree. There is so much pressure to fit our parenting styles into some school of thought and then to "do" that style 100%. I know you are not at all saying that it doesn't matter how we parent...but rather that it matters most that we parent with the specific needs of our small individual(s) in mind. Even two different babes in one family might need dramatically different approaches. Good for you, Mama. I am sure you are doing your very best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just odd that anyone would follow a parenting method. Being inspired by them is one thing but to say "I am an attachment parent" like it is the only way is weird to me. Like it's some parenting manual, which we all know does not exist. Yes, my boys are very different and have required different responses since day one. Thanks, Katie.

      Delete